VIC Statement for lawyer and how long for financial settlement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

footydad2019

11 September 2019
Ok so I am in the beginning stages of working out financial settlement with my ex, we both have lawyers.

I have met with my lawyer for an initial interview. Met him again when I retained his services formally and when through things in more detail (still fairly general at that point) and now he has asked that I come in and give a statement which will be used in evidence if we go to court. An initial letter was sent and my ex’s lawyer had responded saying they were waiting on her instructions and will get back to us shortly.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what this statement will be about?

I have completed the financial paperwork required by the family court with my income, liabilities, assets etc and already submitted it to him. These seems to be the next step, u wouldn’t know because I have not gone through this before.

Also can anyone shed light on how long property settlement can take? I was hoping two months maybe three without court ... but with the time between communications between lawyers I am starting to think that I might be underestimating things.

Thanks

Atticus

6 February 2019
he has asked that I come in and give a statement which will be used in evidence if we go to court.....Can anyone enlighten me as to what this statement will be about?

As a guess, probably wanting you to give a 'statement' that he can then put together an affidavit from, BUT... don't be afraid to ask to clarify & why it is necessary at this point....Understandable if an actual property settlement has been filed with the court, but probably not so much if it is just at the stage of pre filing conciliation....

Also can anyone shed light on how long property settlement can take?

If it must be done between lawyers, then that is going to add time & money, but ultimately comes down to the sticking points & how genuine each party is to compromise & a speedy outcome

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Also can anyone shed light on how long property settlement can take?

Can't realistically comment without detail. eg are all assets in Australia, is there real estate involved? Does real estate have to be sold, are third parties involved in real estate? Are there disagreements over values?

Anywhere from 2 months to 2+ years.

Reactions: Norwest