NSW State Emergency Service or Council - Who Should Remove Debris?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Christie May

29 June 2016
On a very wet Sunday recently, a neighbour phoned the State Emergency Service as she was very concerned about a tree leaning between her house and mine. I was told that the SES declared the tree dangerous and then handed the details to our local council.

A council truck pulled up later and two men proceeded to saw the bulk of the tree down. They left the debris between our houses and told us that the owner would be able to claim insurance because the SES had declared it dangerous, however, they are saying it is up to the SES to remove it. The SES say it is definitely council's job 100% and our local member simply believes the council when they told him they know nothing about it.

There is a fair bit of debris to be taken away and it is leaning on my (caravan) house and my two large gas bottles. My neighbour and I both suffer from ill health and becoming very stressed. What happens now?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
On whose land was the tree?

Christie May

29 June 2016
The land is owned by a large company that owns several 'caravan parks' and 'over 55s' villages throughout Australia. Their HQ is in Perth and I am in Sydney.