Sports tipping

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hoyle

9 December 2020
When it comes to running a tipping competition in New South Wales and Victoria, the prize money must not exceed $5,000 and all money collected must be returned as prize money or else a permit will be required. If I wanted to running a competition at a commercial level but taking a small percentage of the prize money e.g. 5% what permit is required for this and is it easily attainable?

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Simple answer is no - it's not easily attainable. You essentially need a public lotteries licence:
In NSW: ABLIS | Enabling business
In Victoria: ABLIS | Enabling business

Victoria appears to be the harder of the two prospects (marginally) - there is only currently one public licence in place (Tattersalls ). You need Ministerial approval and licences appear to be allocated based on tendering process. Only one public lottery licence is in effect at a time. Or, in other words, you don't just apply for them. The premium payment for the licence was $120 million, and the licence was granted for 10 years on 1 June 2017. Despite this, the Minister may grant additional public lottery licences on a temporary basis if the main licence is 'cancelled, suspended or surrendered', or for the conduct of an AFL Footy Tipping Competition (good luck finding information on that one...). Or you could look at a 'wagering and betting licence' - there's only one of those too: Tabcorp. Issued for 12 years in August 2012.

Suffice to say, even if it is obtainable - it's not going to be cheap, and it's not going to be easy.

AdeynLon

30 July 2022
From what I know, it's not something extremely easy, but it could be possible. I never tried it, but there are a lot of platforms that can guide you or give you some contact ideas to find all the information you need.

AdeynLon

30 July 2022
For example, you can try contacting zumroad. They know everything regarding sports, and I am sure they will have some tips or ideas to help you. If you find any additional information, don't forget to share it here with us, I'd love to know if it's possible and how.

AdeynLon

30 July 2022
For example, you can try contacting zumroad. They know everything regarding sports, and I am sure they will have some tips or ideas to help you. If you find any additional information, don't forget to share it here with us, I'd love to know if it's possible and how.
From what I know, it's not something extremely easy, but it could be possible. I never tried it, but there are a lot of platforms that can guide you or give you some contact ideas to find all the information you need. For example, you can try contacting ข่าวกีฬาวันนี้ รวมข่าว ฟุตบอล ทุกลีค ทั่วโลก อัพเดตทุกวัน. They know everything regarding sports, and I am sure they will have some tips or ideas to help you. If you find any additional information, don't forget to share it here with us, I'd love to know if it's possible and how.