QLD Speeding ticket on rental vehicle

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Fader340

7 January 2018
I was recently in Australia on a holiday and rented a motorhome for a few weeks. When I got home I got an email from the rental company informing me that I got a speeding ticket. I just got the ticket and it was $1260! I was going 96km's in an 80km/hr zone. I'm not contesting that I was speeding, but $1260 is a bit steep! I looked it up online and it says that the fine for 13-20km's over is $252. Anyone know why my ticket is over $1000 more?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Standard fine for a business, rather than an individual. Write back and say you'll accept and pay the fine once it is put into your name. They can nominate the driver to the authorities.

James Dylan

6 January 2018
Do you have the ticket?

What’s the offence? And if possible, can you give me the 4 digit number on the left of where it states the traffic offence? I can use that...

Adam1user

5 January 2018
The rental company would add an amount on top of the traffic infringement value as administration fees (not sure of the amount, never had a traffic fine while renting a vehicle, but I think the amount is excessive), that is the reason for the difference, you can go back to the rental agreement and on the back it has all the terms and conditions.

But What Rod has recommended is a better way in which you would pay the infringement only but do ask the rental company what the process is, as they may also take administration fees, see the T&C.

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
The rental company should have nominated you as an individual and then it's the regular fine. The fine has been issued to the rental company and that is why it's the large amount.

Fader340

7 January 2018
The rental company would add an amount on top of the traffic infringement value as administration fees (not sure of the amount, never had a traffic fine while renting a vehicle, but I think the amount is excessive), that is the reason for the difference, you can go back to the rental agreement and on the back it has all the terms and conditions.

But What Rod has recommended is a better way in which you would pay the infringement only but do ask the rental company what the process is, as they may also take administration fees, see the T&C.

Yeah, they already hit us with the administration fee... It was $75. I'll see what I can do about getting it put in my name. Thanks for all of the advice ladies and gentlemen, it much appreciated!

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I haven't checked, but if memory serves correctly the increased fine applies to companies and possibly to international drivers as well - because neither can accrue demerit points.

Clancy

6 April 2016
I haven't checked, but if memory serves correctly the increased fine applies to companies and possibly to international drivers as well - because neither can accrue demerit points.

The rental company should not be arbitrarily deciding who can or cannot accrue demerit points?? That is the responsibility of the authorities to deal with after the rental company nominated the driver?

Fader340

7 January 2018
Evidently the rental company has filed a statutory declaration naming me as the driver. The lady at the rental company told me that once I'm named as the driver the fine should drop down to $252.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
:) that's better.