WA Speeding Fines - Request for Further Information?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Suzy823

20 August 2014
Hi there. Just after clarification please :)
When a Company receives a speeding fine for one of their company registered vehicles, and it is unclear who the driver was, you are required to submit a statutory declaration along with payment of the modified penalty as noted on the form. What happens then? Is that the end of the matter?

Thanks in advance

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Suzy832,

Did the company receive a "Notice Requesting Information"? If so and if the Company does not know who was driving the car at that time, the Company will need to fill in Division 3 of the Notice and submit a statutory declaration to this effect (sent with the original notice requesting information form). As for what happens after, call the West Australian Police Department to double check, but I suspect they will review their evidence (there will most likely have been photographs taken at the scene) and send this evidence to you to assist you in identifying the driver.

Suzy823

20 August 2014
Thanks for your reply Sarah. Yes, they did send the N.R.I. with an unclear photo included. We were able to view this online but the photo is equally as grainy.
My question is that if we lodge the form and pay the Modified Penalty, would that finalise the matter? Being that the Modified Penalty is over double what the fine would be if an infringement was issued.
I have called the WA Police department and their answer is unclear.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Suzy823,

If you're paying more than the fine of an individual driver, then I don't see any reason why the police would keep pursuing the matter. I believe it should be the end of the matter.