NSW Speeding Fines After 7 Years - Dispute It?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Queen reigne

7 February 2017
Hi,

Please can someone help me?

I just received a letter in the mail today and its from SDRO NSW government stating. I needed to pay my speeding fines of $326, since I committed an offence way back on 31st of December 2010. That's almost 7 years ago and I was never in NSW, never have been for the past 10 years. I'm residing in QLD and always have been.

My question is, if I dispute it, do I need to go all the way to NSW for a court hearing?

I work a lot and it seems wrong for me to go out of my way for a mistake they've done. Why in the world would they do something like this?

In the letter, it does not even say the rego number or which location I have allegedly committed the offence.

That's so wrong... Please help?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

I would contact LawAccess (operated by the Department of Justice) or www.lawaccess.nsw.gov.au

Explain your situation - you may need to complete a Statutory Declaration and get one from someone that can vouch for you being in QLD at the time of the incident. Anyway I'm sure LawAccess can advise you on what to do.

kimsland

6 February 2017
My question is, if I dispute it, do I need to go all the way to nsw for a court hearing?
I very much doubt it.

Courts even allowed a video link from one court to another for reasons specifically like this. You can still be sworn in, in a local court. That's your only question?

I'll just throw in that you should ask this to be reviewed and give your reasons. It probably won't even go to court (without rego shown, and you confirming you weren't even in the state).

Sadly you must action it, although... if you do get past the 7 year I think it will just be annulled. Either way, you'll need to communicate (I prefer emails myself) with the office you received the letter from.

Reactions: Lance