NSW Someone Tried to Poison My Dog - Break Lease Through Hardship?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jjb

15 May 2016
I am considering breaking my lease. We have only lived here 2 months but someone is trying to poison our dog - ratsacks were found in steaks, etc. We have never had problems with other neighbours and our dog previously. Having someone trespass and wanting to bait my dog has made me feel unsafe in my home. I was wondering if this was grounds for breaking of lease through 'hardship'?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Read this.

It is unlikely you'd be successful.

Assumption here. Maybe try an anti-bark collar and some training. Walking dogs also helps, especially if you have an active breed needing lots of exercise. Some terriers, beagles and collies are the worst breeds for people for busy lives.

Victoria S

9 April 2014
I agree, unfortunately not grounds to break lease. However you may speak with your landlord to try to get some tips on how to deal with the neighbours.

Jjb

15 May 2016
When we first moved in he barked for a bit, he was getting separation anxiety. We got a barking collar and he had since stopped. We took off the collar after 5 weeks of not barking. Then he barks one night and someone tries to poison him :(. He is a small breed dog, who is walked regularly and is only 18 months old. Wish I could just break the lease so that I could move now, pretty concerned for his safety.

Victoria S

9 April 2014
I would raise it with your real estate agent and let them know of your circumstances. There are ways you can break lease - usually if you pay for the cost of advertising or find a replacement tenant then you can move out. Have a read of your lease and speak with your real estate agent about it.