NSW Solicitor Fees - What Sort of Fees to Expect?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Semi

9 August 2017
Charges by solicitor

Can someone tell me what sort of fees I should be expecting from mention to hearing? I was charged with Intimidation / stalking and an AVO that covers my wife and daughter which I will consent to without admission.

Only 1 core witness in the matter which is my ex based on an 1 single alleged incident that cannot be proven beyond reasonable doubt but may end up tarnishing her credibility also for fabricating the whole thing.

My criminal solicitor gave me a fixed price agreement of $6600 to $8800 which I found really higher than what I thought it would be. He also said $440 an hour and when I proposed to elect for hour option, he wasn't all for it?

I am already bleeding money on family lawyers and this fabricated criminal charges is draining what I have left for my mortgage commitments that I'm paying alone since she moved out with her new partner and my daughter.

sammy01

27 September 2015
So consent without admission for the avo? Don't bother paying solicitors for that.

But you're also charged with stalking? Are you planning on challenging that? Or plead guilty? Defending that is gonna get pricey. I'd shop around, about $400 /$500 an hour is the going rate

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Clarify for me - are you consenting to a new AVO without admissions,
or are you defending a breach of an existing AVO?