QLD Sole parenting court

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jackson8

21 September 2019
I am going to court for sole responsibility of my child I have been to do there is a good chance I will get it
If I am granted sole responsibility does this mean the other parent is not allowed to see t h e child and has no rights

Tremaine

5 February 2019
No.

Sole parental responsibility means you get the final say on major long term decisions affecting the child, those being in relation to education, religious affiliation, change to name, major medical interventions, etc.

Time spent with the child will be a separate order. A parent with no parental responsibility can still have orders to spend time with the child.

sammy01

27 September 2015
SPR isn't handed out lightly... But the court will do it sometimes. It is more likely one parent could be given spr on a subject, like religion or schooling. But the court can still make an order for the other parent to spend time with the child unless it is deemed to not be in the best interest of the child.

Jackson8

21 September 2019
SPR isn't handed out lightly... But the court will do it sometimes. It is more likely one parent could be given spr on a subject, like religion or schooling. But the court can still make an order for the other parent to spend time with the child unless it is deemed to not be in the best interest of the child.
Ok so of I do get granted sole parenting and the other parent doesn't do anything about it as in doesn't request visitation does that mean in the future if they want to see the child they have to put a court application to see the child.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Ok so of I do get granted sole parenting and the other parent doesn't do anything about it as in doesn't request visitation does that mean in the future if they want to see the child they have to put a court application to see the child.

I doubt you will get SOLE PR, but if you did the order would also specify with whom the child is to live & spend time with... In other words, when considering your SPR application, the court will also be deciding the living & visitation arrangements.... Pretty uncommon that a child is not given some amount of regular visitation time with a parent...

sammy01

27 September 2015
On what grounds are you seeking SPR?
U'm still expecting child support from the other parent?

Jackson8

21 September 2019
On what grounds are you seeking SPR?
U'm still expecting child support from the other parent?
Other parent doesn't bother to see child, I am doing everything on my own, I am a guy by the way so i guess would just like it official

sammy01

27 September 2015
ok, so what is the point? Sorry mate, but if mum does nothing, then sweet.
I reckon you're wasting $ going to court.