QLD Sold Tickets on Gumtree - Customer Wants a Refund?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sarah1234!

29 June 2017
Hi,

I bought two tickets to State of Origin game 2 but due to work was unable to go so I sold them on Gumtree.

The person who bought them is claiming they were unable to get in/the ticket was fraudulent and is demanding a refund. But I bought them from a company, so if the tickets are at fault, surely it's not me at fault?

What can happen legally? Am I required to send them the money back?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Sarah,
So either there is a fault with the ticket which I doubt, they were dodgy which you said they weren't or they attended and want to try to get their money back. If you are comfortable attending a magistrates court of they try to get the money back off you and swearing before a magistrate that they were legitimately bought and provide receipts, I would let them try. The other option you could try is use the receipt to confirm with the ticket seller if the ticket was used. I'm inclined to think they are calling your bluff.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Are they even transferable tickets?
If not, then you cannot validly sell them to somebody else anyway.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
If not, then you cannot validly sell them to somebody else anyway.

Lance

31 October 2015
I have to admit I had a look at gumtree when I saw the question and they have a lot of tickets advertised and I would question if any are transferable.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Almost never.
It's really unusual for tickets to events to be transferable.
Which is why I am not at all clear that our OP has even made a valid sale,
and will probably therefore have to refund the money.

Reactions: Lance