NSW Sold my second hand car and the new buyers are threatening to take me to court.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

CJohson129

18 March 2018
Just over a week ago I sold my secondhand car for $2,000. It had been a reliable car, had a bit of paint missing and a few dings but had been regularly serviced and was other wise in good condition for a car of its age. Last night at 10pm I received a phone call from the buyer telling me that they believed the gear box had gone in the car after she had driven it to the shops that afternoon. She is saying that because she has only had the car for a week she either wants her money back or wants us to pay for the damage. I feel terrible but I sold the car as is, was very upfront about everything. I understand that she hasn’t had the car for long but a lot can happen in a week. She said that the car hadn’t have any issues until last night and had been great. She is now threatening to take me to court does she have a leg to stand on? Am I in the wrong? What should be my next move? Do I get further legal advice? The issue sounds like it could cost more to fix then what she bought the car for.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
If this was a purchase from a dealer, then yes, she could get a refund.

But this is a private sale, so she's not covered by the same consumer guarantees that would apply if she had bought it from a dealer.

Private sales are 'buyer beware'. If she bought the car without having it properly inspected, that's her responsibility, not yours.