NSW Sold Car Recently - Buyer Threatening Legal Action?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
16 January 2017
I've just sold a 2009 VE Commodore on Saturday, no problems. The car drove a 2000km trip a week ago. Now, 2 days later, the buyer is saying it needs a new gearbox for $2500 and threatened legal action.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
7-year car sold without warranty.

I assume you gave them a chance to test drive and seek a mechanical inspection, and that you have no knowledge of any gearbox problems. Tell him you cannot/will not accept a return.

16 January 2017
7 year car sold without warranty.

I assume you gave them a chance to test drive and seek a mechanical inspection, and that you have no knowledge of any gearbox problems.

Tell him you cannot/will not accept a return.
They did test drive it, than bought it and drove it home on Saturday/ drove on Sunday no problem. They rang me Monday saying the gearbox is stuffed and want me to pay half the repair bill.

I sold the car with no known problems?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
As long as they are not likely to put a brick through your front window, I'd politely ignore them after saying 'not my problem'.

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
Sound like they're trying it on. They really have no recourse after inspecting the car and driving it for a while.