QLD Sold a GPU buyer wants refund after over a week

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SMT2017

17 May 2017
Hey guys, i sold a computer graphics card (GPU) on the 8-5-2017. I provided a video of the card running and confirmed multiple times the card was working. I also told him to let me know if there was any issues. The buyer told me he was taking it to a computer shop to have it installed and then notified me that the card was all good.
Today on the 17-5-2017 he has contacted me to say that the card is not working and he wants a refund.
I am a uni student with debt flowing out of my ears so i would struggle to provide a refund. He is claiming that the computer shop told him the card has a 'factory fault' and it doesnt work. When i sold him the card it was working 100%, i sent him a video of the card running as well. Since it has been almost 10 days, im worried that he may have damaged the card himself as its been so long and he confirmed that it was working fine after he had it installed by professionals.
Any help in regards to what im obligated to do would be much appreciated,
Sincerely
SMT

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If you did not give a warranty, do nothing. Let him prove his case if it goes to court.

SMT2017

17 May 2017
I gave a verbal statement saying if theres any issues let me know and i said that as i handed him the card. He did confirm it was working fine so would that be applicable?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Your verbal statement is ambiguous. There's an implication of some kind of warranty. The fact it may have worked for a week may not be relevant.

Tough call. I'd sit back and do nothing. See what happens.

Next time only ever say no warranty or warranty is only for 'dead on receipt'.