VIC Social Media - Company contacting employer

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Maria Smith

3 December 2018
Hi

Thanks for reading my question :) I have been recently through a situation with an Australian retailer and I am seeking your views.

I criticised (without swearing) an Australian retailer on a social media network. They tried to discuss the matter but I didn’t follow up with the retailer on the social media network. I wrote on the social network comments about their customers services and how disappointing it was.

The Australian retailer then contacted my employer about what I wrote on social media. No troubles with my employer.

Where do I stand? Is this practice legal?

Thanks in advance for your help
Regards

DMLegal

28 May 2018
It's tricky, definitely not a good practice on their part, but I cannot think of any laws they could have contravened. I gather they obtained your employment information from your social media profile, so no breach of privacy there. If they misrepresented what you said on the posts (i.e. exaggerated the comments etc.) you may have an action in defamation. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Maria Smith