VIC Slipped at McDonalds

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rhiannon H

13 January 2018
I was at a McDonald’s in geelong when I was taking my 4 year old to the toilet and I slipped on an extremely wet (almost slimy) floor. I didn’t hit the ground, I did a kind of splits and rolled one of my ankles. I instantly knew I’d hurt myself and pulled muscles and rolling my ankle I had instant throbbing and couldn’t put weight on it.

I noticed there was no wet floor sign up. I mentioned there wasn’t and should be, an employer said “there was one up earlier” and called out to a fellow employer to get the sign. A little too late. Not to mention the fact this slippery slimy floor was directly in front of the entrance to the children’s playground which is extremely risky!

I wanted to know if I have a case? Need advice or thoughts? I’m
Not one to normally kick up a fuss but I think it was really negligent on their behalf and what if it was one of my children who slipped and hurt themselves. Mum
Of three and struggling to walk around isn’t exactly ideal. No staff has approached me or asked if I’m ok (just other patrons) they quickly out a sign and ignored me even when I was leaning on the bench in pain before having to rush my 4 y.o to the bathroom.

Thank you in advance.

Connor

19 February 2018
You couldn't open a court case as you didn't suffer any major losses as a result of it.

You might want to send an email to the manager about it though.

Good luck.

Kind regards,
Connor.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Sorry to hear, but you need to take care.... Its common sense to be aware that spills happen quite frequently at McDonalds..... especially in the kids ares! You cannot possibly expect and rely upon them to have a sign instantly in place every time surly?

Connor

19 February 2018
Sorry to hear, but you need to take care.... Its common sense to be aware that spills happen quite frequently at McDonalds..... especially in the kids ares! You cannot possibly expect and rely upon them to have a sign instantly in place every time surly?
While yes, I do agree with you in the fact that they can't possibly get a sign out IMMEDIATELY but if someone slipped on a spill that was caused in their restaurant, I personally would expect some sort of compensation or a very heartfelt apology by one of the managers.

Clancy

6 April 2016
While yes, I do agree with you in the fact that they can't possibly get a sign out IMMEDIATELY but if someone slipped on a spill that was caused in their restaurant, I personally would expect some sort of compensation or a very heartfelt apology by one of the managers.

Well then it comes down to staff training..... One would assume McDonalds has clear policy on how staff are to respond to a fall? Plus OHS policy that they should be trained to follow.