SISTER IN LAW & GETTING AN AVO

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

nswmumof1

17 September 2019
Long story short my DH and SIL/BIL had a disagreement 12 months ago haven’t spoken since, SIL has continued over that time to request seeing our DD 1 on 1, we said no she’s welcome to see DD at our house but apparently she’s uncomfortable with that and again said she’ll only see her if they can have her alone. After her ridiculous manipulation attempts and some form of weird msgs where it comes across as though SIL deserves some sort of custody. We cut contact.

I thought after 12 months everyone would have been able to be adults shake hands forgive forget move on, I was wrong SIL is obviously mentally unstable and again only wanting access to DD alone! SIL said she hates us and forcing herself to make conversation with me was hell, will only see DD alone and basically it’s her way or the highway.

Now the question. SIL is mentally unstable it doesn’t sit well with me that they must have her alone. (It’s a little bit creepy & raises red flags for both DH & I they’ve never had her alone and never will) her insistence that she has some sort of right to some weird custody of DD is concerning and the overall obsession with DD is concerning. I’m currently pregnant with no2 and worried for DDs safety, my safety and the unborn babies safety I mean if she decides to go bat s**t crazy and come here and attempt to take DD or attack me I’d never forgive myself.

Do I have grounds for an AVO? What’s involved?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Nope - AVO's are if you have reason the believe you're at risk.
Any text message threatening to hurt you in the past 2 weeks? Nope? then no avo. Yes - then yup go to the cops.