VIC single publication rule under the new law

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Peterliu2021

29 September 2021
Sorry this might sound like a silly question, I read about the single publication rule under the new defamation law that came into effect from July this year, does this rule only apply to publications AFTER the change ? Or all previous online publications ? I remember not long ago you can still sue publishers for defamation regardless of the limitations period as long as the articles still online and viewable, and each view is considered as a download ? Does this new rule prevents me suing publisher that published articles long time ago( let’s say 3 years ago and it’s still online and only recently bought to my attention)

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Look for a specific provision saying the amendment is retrospective - meaning it has effect before the date it commenced. Without this it will only affect things happening after it’s commencement, as there is a presumption against retrospectivity in legislative interpretation.

Reactions: Peterliu2021