LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Simultaneous Death Clause in Will - What Happens to Share of Beneficiary?

Discussion in 'Wills and Estate Planning Law Forum' started by Andrew Hunter, 2 May 2016.

1. Andrew Hunter

Andrew Hunter Member

I have added a Simultaneous Death Clause to my will after naming my 3 sons should my wife predecease me.

"If any beneficiary /ies should die at the same time as I should die or within 30 days of my death, then he/they will be deemed to have predeceased me."

My question then is, what happens to the 1/3rd share if one of my sons also predeceased me?

I really want their share to go to their estate only if they have surviving children.

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

1. Change your will if this happens or
    2. Re-write your will now to cover this circumstance. If shares are equal atm (ie 1/3rd each) rather than saying 1/3rd shares to each of my sons, say equal shares. That way two remaining sons would get half each.

3. Andrew Hunter

Andrew Hunter Member

Thanks Rod - I have used term equal shares but I want to ensure that my grandchildren are not excluded should their father die - say in the same car as me for example.

4. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

OK. Then you have an additional condition that says something like: .... should any son die before me or within 30 days of me, then the deceased son's share shall be equally(?) divided between his children.

If a son has no children and dies then the condition is not met and his 'share' passes to the other sons or their children.

5. Andrew Hunter

Andrew Hunter Member