NSW Signing with Company Representative - Is Contract Valid?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

David J King

23 April 2018
On the signing of a contract by a company representative, if the company representative have neither been an employee or an agent for that company, does that make the initial contract invalid?

The representative was the only contact I had with the company.

Thank you.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi,
This is tricky, from my memory, if there was nothing to indicate that the rep is not representing the company and you had no doubt about it, and you incurred a loss, then there maybe legal action you can take against the company, this is what I remember, if I'm wrong, I hope someone can write the correct info.

there should be some conditions before this can happen, such as the person was actually a representative for the company before and acted on behalf of the company and there was proof of the relationship between the person and the company the person represented.

This is what I remember, but what I can advise you is if you incurred a loss or were affected negatively, contact a lawyer/solicitor to confirm.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Not enough detail to comment. What made you think the person was a company rep?

If for instance you are a victim of fraud with no knowledge by the company then they are not responsible. Questions like this are better answered by a lawyer who received all the necessary information from you before giving advice. Sometimes 1 little fact in these circumstances can make all the difference.