Side Boundary Fence/Screen - Privacy vs View Loss

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MAP

22 June 2022
The side fence between our properties is currently only chainlink and about 1.6m high. This offers no privacy to our garden and BBQ area.

We would like to install either a 5m LONG 2.5M HIGH on ground privacy screen in our property and/or a 1.8m high paling or simlar fence on the boundary.

Our neighbours can currently look sideways from their garden through or garden and see water glimpses and have objected to works that block their view. Reason reason (view loss) interestingly they have also objected to our new laundry citing privacy issues that would be solved by a fence??.

I understand that both the screen and/or fence can be constructed as compliant structures under state planning laws subdivision 17 and 31. Ref:View - NSW legislation

We would like to maintain an amicable relationship but do not think there is any opportunity for compromise. I am thinking of writing to them sharing the privacy concern and suggesting a fence but expect that would want the fence to address their privacy concern as our privacy concern impacts some view loss for them

Are we obliged to maintain the neighbours side view or does the desire for mutual privacy prevail??

If we can't achieve an agreements can we go ahead with the fence/screen at our cost and in our property without their or councils approval?

Attachments

• View Loss Photo's.pdf
    631.4 KB · Views: 2

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Hi, if you are in Victoria I would suggest a notice to fence and or contacting the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria. Good luck.