NSW Should Visitation Transport Depend on a Parenting Plan?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jacqueline19

31 October 2016
My partner and his wife split about 3 years ago. His ex has sought legal advice apparently, which says that it is solely the visitation parent's responsibility for transport in both directions. No parenting plans have been put in place. This came up in mediation.

This has always been a shared role until now. I think it is an issue with money. They live about 1 hr 15 mins apart.

Is this a legal precedent or does it depend on a parenting plan?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Nope, it is stupidity... Nope, madness.

She is looking for excuses...

As a general rule that is what a court would order.

Solution?

1 - Write to the ex and say that you think it reasonable that parents share the travel and that if the solicitor thinks differently, can the solicitor please write to you to explain the reasons... (the solicitor never said it btw)

Corinne

31 October 2015
That's bullocks. The responsibility falls on the primary parent to facilitate the relationship of the kids with the non-resident parent. For her to refuse making any effort with regards to transport would make her look bad.

Massive bluff from the "lawyer". I use quotations because I find a lot of the time people say they've gotten legal advice when they actually haven't and are just making things up to suit themselves. Been there.