Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

QLD Should I Claim Deduction on Superannuation Contribution?

Discussion in 'Superannuation Law Forum' started by oceanearth, 1 June 2016.

1. oceanearth

oceanearth Member

I'm a small business owner but my income is designated as personal services income. I have an arrangement with the ATO to settle my tax at the end of each tax year. This year my income will be around $32,000 taxable, so I'm eligible for full pre-tax and after-tax co-contributions.

I'm about to put a lump sum into my superannuation, let's say $1000 - with my main aim to maximise the government co-contribution.

Option A is to put it in as pre-tax. I pay 15% tax return, but get it back from the government via the low income superannuation contribution. I pay no income tax on the $1000, saving $190 (19% marginal tax rate). Net benefit is $190 in my pocket. If I put that in my super instead the total amount is about $1190 in super contributions (ignoring the flow on effects for next year).

Option B is to make it an after-tax contribution, where I will pay around $190 income tax (19% marginal tax rate) on the $1000, but get $500 (50c in the dollar) government super co-contribution. Net benefit is $310 ($500-$190) all in my super. Total of $1500 in super contributions.

Seems like B is a no-brainer, but am I missing something here?

2. Michael T

Michael T Well-Known Member

This is something you need to speak to your accountant about, rather than being a legal issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Smiley

Smiley Well-Known Member

The answer is easy (in my view).

Salary sacrifice payments are more aimed at higher incomes. On an income of $32k, Option B appears to be the better view.

Make your post-tax contribution and make the most of the Gov't co. contribution which as you have noted is now only 0.50 to each $1 you put in.

PS If you are aiming to have the $1k before the EOFY, do it now. Don't wait until 28/06/2016 and make it. This is to avoid any errors or anything that may pop up left of field that may cause you to miss the 30/06/2016 cut off

oceanearth likes this.
  4. oceanearth

oceanearth Member

Thanks Smiley, it just seemed too easy so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.