NSW Shoplifting at CostCo - Will I Hear from Police?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Betsy Holden

17 November 2017
Hi,

I was caught shoplifting at Costco in NSW yesterday to my absolute shame. First time ever due to some circumstances in personal life...and I reacted stupidly. Was taken aside by LP who took back the things, was made to sign a trespass form and told not welcome there again which I absolutely agree with. Checked with police that I didn't have a record which I don't...told me it was my lucky day and he was feeling nice. Didn't involve police further, so no fine. He did take a photo of me however and my licence details.

My question is I've been worrying myself sick about...will I hear from the police? I've been reading about civil demands, will I see one of these? I'm a 28 year old mum of two, goods amount was $200 which he said would be put back on shelf.

Clancy

6 April 2016
You were 'made' to sign? I do hope that was conditional on them not pressing charges and you have something along those lines in writing?

Clancy

6 April 2016
It was a no trespass form of which he gave me a photocopy. I didn't know what else to do other than cooperate.

There is absolutely no reason to co-operate unless they were genuinely offering not to prosecute provided you co-operated.

Betsy Holden

17 November 2017
So I can expect to get a court summons then? He did say because I cooperated and seemed genuinely sorry, plus no record, he didn't want it to get messy for me... He must have taken a nice pill that morning he said. However none of this was in writing. I was pretty shell-shocked at the time, plus had a 2-year-old son who was getting upset so I just took the form and left.

Clancy

6 April 2016
So I can expect to get a court summons then? He did say because I cooperated and seemed genuinely sorry, plus no record he didn't want it to get messy for me...he must have taken a nice pill that morning he said. However none of this was in writing. I was pretty shellshocked at the time plus had 2 year old son who was getting upset so I just took the form and left.

Well, OK, I would say you're safe then... If you're signing something for them, it would have been better to have something in writing, but I dunno, perhaps beggars can't be choosers?

Also there would be nothing for them to gain by chasing the matter any further, they have their items returned and you banned from their store, end of story.

Betsy Holden

17 November 2017
Sorry about delayed response, but I was wondering, how do I know if I will be charged further? I haven't received an on the spot fine as police didn't come, but will I receive anything later? Do I have a criminal record now? And how long do these charges take to arrive if I am charged?

Clancy

6 April 2016
Well firstly, I never heard of anyone being charged for anything without having first been questioned by police..... speed cameras and red light cameras being the exceptions.

I never heard of anyone gaining a criminal record without having first faced a court.

So the store seems to have dropped the matter, and I never heard of police tracking someone down for 'attempted' $200:00 theft - Police are too busy following average Australians around in their cars handing out petty traffic fines, so they can barely keep up with tracking down all the more serious offenders who they have warrants for!

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi,

I was caught shoplifting at Costco in NSW yesterday to my absolute shame. First time ever due to some circumstances in personal life...and I reacted stupidly. Was taken aside by LP who took back the things, was made to sign a trespass form and told not welcome there again which I absolutely agree with. Checked with police that I didn't have a record which I don't...told me it was my lucky day and he was feeling nice. Didn't involve police further, so no fine. He did take a photo of me however and my licence details.

My question is I've been worrying myself sick about...will I hear from the police? I've been reading about civil demands, will I see one of these? I'm a 28 year old mum of two, goods amount was $200 which he said would be put back on shelf.

Reading what you wrote, it seems that it is done, no other action and don't worry. They will not call the police. They got their items back and you signed agreeing not to come back, their main aim is to minimise shoplifting which they did with you, as the items are returned and you will not be back, that is enough for them, but be careful not to go back as if you do, they can call the police (if you shoplift again). Count yourself lucky and learn from this mistake.