VIC Shoplifter swap price tag in puma

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

chavigv

24 March 2018
my best friend was buying on puma outlet and saw two shoes identical
one size 11 at $30 and other size 9 at $60
i dont know why but she took both and while she was wearing one swapped the boxes and put away the size 11 on the box of $60 and took to the counter the other ones size 9 with other price $30
payed normal on counter and then throw away the box outside keeping the shoes
can she be caught and what offence will be against her
she is really scared and the guilty is killing her, she wont do it again

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi,
If she was not caught, then it is done. No need to worry, unless if paid by credit card, this can be traced back to her. But in my opinion, as the amount is very low, I don't think anything will happen, as the cost for tracing her and getting legal involved is more than $30 ($60-$30), so she is safe. It seems that both of you are young, right?
My recommendation to your friend, it is not worth shoplifting as it will be a matter of time until she gets caught and then she would have a criminal record that will affect her future life (employment and financial aspects). swapping the tags (or boxes in your friend's case) is a shoplifting method.
Ask her to read about shoplifting on the net, it is considered as a mental sickness, if she started now, she can stop it now, but once she does it and get hooked it will be hard for her to let it go and then it will not end good for her.

Clancy

6 April 2016
aside from a deliberate act, it would be an easy mistake to do accidentally, so the checkout person should really be checking the product is correct.