QLD Served with cease and desist from previous employer

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mizfitz

2 December 2017
I am currently in the middle of a wage dispute with my previous employer over underpayment of wages (went through fair work and my own solicitor and they have refused to pay full amount, only a portion) I have contacted several previous and one current employer regarding the wages they are being paid and the business owners have become aware of this and have served me (by email) a cease and desist letter (written by an industrial relations man from their association). They have told me they will sue me for defamation if I contact ANY employees and will have my work license (thoroughbred racing) taken off me. What do I do now? I consider this email to be very threatening and unprofessional considering it came from and industry rep.
They are the ones contacting my current employers and making remarks about my professional conduct, and what's more, the information I have given to staff members is 100% correct.
Cheers

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
This is something you should discuss with your solicitor.

One possible area of concern is the confidential nature of employment contracts and you shouldn't be inducing employees to break their confidentiality agreement. This however by itself is not defamation.

Note that truth is a defence to defamation.

Mizfitz

2 December 2017
Thank you Ron,
There are no contracts in place and no agreements, no payslips, no penalty rates, no industry representative, nothing. I've been barking long and hard for an investigation into the industry, but it has fallen on deaf ears.