QLD Serious Bank Security Flaw - What to Do Under Australian Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

PatMro

11 November 2016
I recently came across with a serious banking security flaw with my bank. I have always been using the banks app on my mobile phone to access my accounts, which requires me to type in all of my details. I recently attempted to sign into the bank account through my computer and was confronted by an incorrect password error. Putting it down to just being a system error, I had ignored it and continued to use the app.

Today, however, I had attempted to log into my app, and my muscle reflex had pressed the log in button just as I noticed that the last character I input was incorrect. Thinking this would simply give me an incorrect password error I was surpised, deeply worried, and disappointed to see that my login was successful. I then logged out to make sure I had input it incorrectly, and yet again, using the same incorrect password I was successfully logged in. I attempted all forms of my original correct password in different incorrect passwords and all have logged in succesfully. I have not lost any money, but this is a serious flaw and I'm very disappointed with my banks security for letting something so simple get passed.

I have not yet contacted my bank, about the flaw or whether my password is incorrect or not, as I was wondering if I should bring in some form of legal attention under Australian Law to the flaw.

Thank you for reading and I appreciate any information or constructive criticism, this is my first post so please be understanding.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Given that you haven't suffered any loss, I'm not sure what action you're thinking you could/would wish to bring.

Perhaps would you should do is take a detailed video recording of this occurring and along with an explanation whilst demonstrating this. You should also immediately notify your bank of this.

sammy01

27 September 2015
I'd go into a branch, insist on seeing the manager and showing them. I'd then ask the manager to provide a written explanation.