VIC Separation with Husband - How to Claim Spousal Maintenance?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Chris26

6 December 2015
I separated from my husband in October. Can you please tell me how to go about claiming spousal maintenance?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
The court doesn't often order spousal maintenance these days, and where it is ordered, it's usually just until property settlement is completed. You can file an initiating application after attending a family dispute resolution conference with the other party.

The court considers a variety of elements, such as age and health, capacity to support yourself, capacity of the other party to pay spousal maintenance, any existing assets, what constitutes a reasonable living standard and whether the marriage impacted your capacity to work.

Generally speaking, the court won't order spousal maintenance unless the other party is wealthy and you are unable to work.

Chris26

6 December 2015
Ok, because he literally took everything: money, food, clothes, and both cars. Spoke to Centrelink, and I have to wait until January before I start to receive any assistance at all, so what am I meant to do in the meantime?

sammy01

27 September 2015
You won't get to court before January. And as the other poster mentioned you're not likely to get spousal maintenance. Are you currently residing in the family home?

Chris26

6 December 2015
In a rental until the 20th then I don't know after that. No money means no food or roof over mine and the children's heads

sammy01

27 September 2015
Are you getting child support? You could also be entitled to family tax benefit and possibly the single parent payment. Visit centrelink