QLD Separation same sex de-facto

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

FrankieFF

20 December 2018
Hello,
My partner and I were together for 12 years and separated, she packed her stuff up into one room in the house and has gone on holiday.
I own, (with the bank) several investment properties in my name and have been paying all utilities. My partner only worked full time for a year or so, and only paid rent every so often.. I supported her while she studied and then started her own business, which did not make any profit. She has also claimed unemployment benefits over the years declaring herself single and also gained the NICE program to start her business.
She has said that she is not going to ask for anything from me but has since been telling others she will take me for everything I own.
A friend told me to transfer all my assets into a Trust account but I am unsure if this is a possibility and really unsure of where I stand. Please can anyone give me some sort of advice as I am close to retirement and have worked really hard to come back after previously being bankrupt.
Thank you FrankieFF

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Establishing trusts will be unlikely to help. They will cost money and be unlikely to assist at this late stage. Should have been done 12 years ago.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
has since been telling others she will take me for everything I own
If that's your concern, then I'm sure whispering the words "Centrelink Fraud" in her ear will change her attitude - if you get what I mean.