WA Separation - Ex Won't Give Info for Financial Agreement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Michaels mum

23 November 2017
Hi everyone.

Son is going through ugly separation / divorce. He has sent an email to her requesting information to fill in the agreement. All he got back was I don't agree and won't give him any information. i.e. bank details.

What does he do now? They were only married for a year. Bad choice!

She never worked in the 5 years they were together. She has all the household stuff they accumulated which is fine. He has his car, tools of trade, and superannuation.

There are no debts. No kids. Just want to to clean things up so she can't come back at him later. She was having a affair with best mate and got pregnant. Has had the kid and dna testing proves its not my son's.

Is she entitled to anything he brought into the relationship and what does he do now?

Thanks.

Michaels mum

23 November 2017
Hi everyone.
Son is going through ugly seperation/divorce.

He has sent an email to her requesting information to fill in the agreement. All he got back was i dont agree and wont give him any information. Ie bank details.

What does he do now?
They were only married for a year. Bad choice!

She never worked in the 5 years they were together. She has all the household stuff they accumulated which is fine.

He has his car, tools of trade, and super.

There are no debts. No kids.

Just want to to clean things up so she cant come back at him later.

She was having a affair with best mate and got pregnant. Has had the kid and dna test proves its not my sons.

Is she entitled to anything he brought into the relationship and what does he do now.

Thanks.
Should have said car etc., he had when he met her.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What does your son want that he currently doesn't have?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Were they renting?

Look a year after divorce she will have to ask for special permission to apply to court.

Depending on the value of assets and if their isn't a home (mortgage) then it might be best to just get the divorce and move on. Spending $10k on solicitors to go through court (and it could be more) might not be worth it...

Michaels mum

23 November 2017
Hi everyone

Thanks for your responses. He has all the stuff that is important to him back. No mortgage, house, debts, nothing. He is only 27.

I thought she could come back years later and say we didn't do settlement, and it would be done on assets he has at that time.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Nope - get the divorce done asap. You have to wait a year since separation. She won't play nice, so he can do a sole application. It will cost about $700.... Money well spent. Tell him not to buy lotto tickets for a year... Would suck to win the big one and then give her reason to come after him for it...

Life lesson learnt for your son...

Michaels mum

23 November 2017
Hi Sammy. Thank you so much. And yes it will definitely be money well spent. And life lesson learnt, but atleast he is young. He has been seperated for a year now so can apply. Appreciate your help.