QLD Separation certificate

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JHamilton

23 July 2020
I had a 12mth contract for a part time position of 20hrs a week. The terms of the position changed and they wanted someone fulltime, the position was to be advertised and I could apply if I wanted to. Due to health issues I could not work full time so I did not apply. I was given a months notice and managed to find another position so I gave them notice of one week. Due to a health problem I was unable to start the new position but may be able to start at a later date if there is a position. My problem is that when I asked my previous employer for a separation certificate they put my reason for leaving was due to my having another job. If they had not changed the position to a fulltime position I would still be there so my reason for leaving was due to them changing the position but they wont say that on a separation certificate and this will leave me unable to claim centrelink according to them I left voluntarily. What can I do about this

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
But you did leave voluntarily...

JHamilton

23 July 2020
Yes I left voluntarily however had they not have changed the conditions of the contract I would still be there. They had already given me notice when i found another job. So I really left because they ended my original contract

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
You had the option to apply for the new position.
You had your reasons not to, but the choice to apply, or not, was yours to make.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You may have a claim against them for breach of contract. How long into the 12 months contract were you?