VIC separated and want to move places within the same state

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mite

28 June 2018
Hi,
Myself and my husband have been separated since 3 years. I want to move along with my kids to a place which is nearer to my work as currently I am travelling 3 hours everyday back and forth. I still want to share the kids 3 nights with my husband as current mutual agreement. There are no current parenting orders in place by the place. Will the court support my move?

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
What days does he have now?
WIll there be a 3 hour drive if you move so they can see them (like do you live near each other now)?
Are you willing to do the driving?
Does the move negate any other things he might want to do with them such as extra curricular activities? What will happen if you want him to have more time in the future? (ages of kids would be good)
WHat are the arrangements now for before and after school care if they are of school age?
and.. of course, most important.. have you asked him?
Sorry for all the questions

As for court, if you think it will be an in and out thing it wont be.. you have mediation, then applications, then waiting, then possibly an interim decision but, if it impacts the kids time with Dad and you are only moving to make your commute easier you might well not get an interim decision in your favour. The courts wont care how far you travel for work, well, they might but it will be bottom of the list of things they consider.

People usually move to be closer to family when separated and this is what a court would consider a valid reason for a move, not for ease of commuting for yourself. Of course, every case is different but....

Last edited: