QLD Sending responsible for courier loosing item?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tris

17 November 2018
On Friday couriered a item back to a client I am no longer working for. I emailed the client explaining how, when and where I was sending it. I followed up to see if had been delivered via the courier website.

This morning the client advised they didn’t receive the item. As it’s the weekend I’m unable to follow up the proof of delivery with the company until Monday.

I advised client of this.

Client is now threading legal action and is blaming me personally and will not stop sending me messages. They say there is sensitive information on there... which is just a dozen phone numbers of ‘potential’ clients and txt messages none of which contain any sensitive information, any information in those messages is available on their company website (phone number, business address)

There was nothing signed between us in regards to the ‘equipment’ when I was given it when the contact commenced and in the service contract there is nothing listed in regards to equipment etc.

Should I be calling a solicitor if the item can not be found?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
They're being unreasonable. Although you haven't mentioned how far it was going, it was only sent Friday. If you've used a reputable courier provider, the package should be securely stored in transit (if not yet delivered), or properly accounted for in delivery. Contact them on Monday and find out what's going on. It's not as if you can do anything about it over the weekend if they're closed.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Be hard up to find a courier that doesn't provide online tracking. Even on a weekend you should be able see where it is.