Sending cold emails

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jordan101

19 October 2020
Hi All,

Hoping for some advice. I'm in the process of starting an outbound/outreach sales agency. I've just landed my first client, and I'll be emailing some potential partner companies with a service offering.

According to the Australian Communications and Media Authority: You may infer permission to send commercial emails if you can satisfy all of the following:

• the person made their email address or phone number public, such as online or in a directory
  • the person does not state that they do not want commercial messages
  • the phone number or email is for an individual or office holder
  • the subject of your message relates directly to the person’s role or function
  • there is a link between what you are promoting and the person getting the message

Re. point number two, is there a directory where I can find if people have opted out of emails like this, or does it simply mean that if they opt out of my initial email I can't email them again?

More broadly, does this sort of thing only apply if I'm going to bulk email companies, or am I also at risk if I'm sending emails individually?

Many thanks,
Jordan

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Re. point number two, is there a directory where I can find if people have opted out of emails like this

No.

Any spam is spam.

Jordan101

19 October 2020
Hi Rod,

Care to elaborate a little bit? If the answer to this point is 'no, such a directory does not exist,' that would imply that if they unsubscribed/opted out after my initial email I'd be in the clear as long as I didn't email them again. I've spoken to two lawyers since posting this and that's the advice I've been given.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
My opinion is I agree.

Much will also depend on how the email addresses are harvested.