QLD Selling Used Panties

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Carissa Birch

15 March 2018
Judgement and opinions on the topic aside, I wanted to ask a few questions on how to legally profit from mailing my used underwear online.

Is it even legal to sell used underwear in Australia?
Is it legal to mail used underwear?
If I can mail them, is there a specific way I need to package them?
Can I mail them internationally?
Can I get an ABN for this?
Are there any specific documents I need to fill out as this would be an adult service?

I see a lot of women doing this online and I'm not even sure most of them are getting taxed from this or doing it legally. I want to set up a legitimate business so I won't get into any trouble.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
It depends on what you mean by “used”, but selling second hand clothing and sending it in the mail is generally legal.

Australia Post: The Dangerous and prohibited goods and packaging guide provides Australia Post reserves the right to refuse to carry an article (D8.0). The sending of any article that will become, or may reasonably be expected to become, physically offensive during the ordinary course of mailing is prohibited (D3.9).

I would suggest some form of sealable plastic bag would be suitable before mailing.

Sending them overseas shouldn’t be a problem, but what happens in the recipient country is anyone’s guess.

You can get an ABN for any reason. Be aware the ABN is searchable and people may find your name. You might want to consider setting up a trust for identity protection. The Australian Business Register records the name as “The trustee for the XYZ Trust”, and trusts are not searchable elsewhere.

You don’t need to register for GST until your turnover hits $75,000 – but you cannot charge or claim GST until you’re registered (there’s GST on postage and underwear, at least).

In Queensland you only need an adult entertainment permit if performing sexually explicit entertainment on licensed premises. Other than that, I can’t see any requirement for you to specifically register this type of business.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Sorry, I could not resist, Regarding Rob's Australia post: if you far**d in them in could be dangerous good (toxic) and could not be mailed!