NSW Seller Sold Me a Defective Car - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
3 April 2017
Hello,

I bought a second-hand car but it has many defects. I want to give it back to the owner but he does not want to give me back the money. Is there anything I can do?

Best regards

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Guilherme,

You can't just return something because it has two many defects. Obviously its a second hand car so you could expect a level of degradation from new. So be clear about what your issue is with the car. The seller is bound by common law contract requirements. Which means they can be liable for misrepresentations that you the buyer relied upon.

If the seller assured you that a specific item was in excellent condition with no issues, such as the gear box but you find that the gear box is defective and needs to be replaced the you may have grounds to take legal action to rescind the contract.

Please keep in mind the grounds to rescind the contract may be if there is one or more major defects. I would grab a copy of the ad if its available and see if there are any false statements in it. You may want to speak with a lawyer to draft a letter to the seller.

This blog post might help: Faulty Second Hand Car? Your Options as a Buyer - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au