NSW Security at University Moved Car Without Permission - Where Do I Stand?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Thomas Regan

11 March 2016
I had a car parked in a free unrestricted car park at my university as it was broken down and I was saving some money to get it removed. One of the windows had been broken so the campus security used it to unlock the car and try and move it. They got the wheel lock stuck on and now it's stuck on an island in the middle of the car park and I have been requested to move it.

Because of the situation, the only way to get it removed is to get it towed which will cost a big chunk of money. The security guards moved my vehicle without my permission, without requesting that I move it and without any written or verbal warning. I feel as though it should not be my responsibility to come up with the funds to remove the vehicle.

Where do I stand in this situation?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
What do the terms and conditions of the car park say?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
And why did you park the car there to begin with?

Thomas Regan

11 March 2016
I parked it there as I was living there, if moved out since and as far as I can see there are no terms and conditions on the car park.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Car parks on private property always have terms and conditions. Universities are private property.

Reactions: hadia siddiqui