WA Search Warrant with Signature Blacked Out - Legal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Joss

17 August 2016
Is it legal for the police to present a search warrant (a copy) with the issuing JPs name and signature completely blacked out?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Under which act was the warrant issued?

Reactions: Joss

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Yes, it is legal for a search warrant to be executed where the JP's name and signature is blacked out. This is to protect to issuing JP's identity in the event the alleged perpetrator is displeased with their decision to endorse the search warrant.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
It may be they can't use evidence if it wasn't properly signed on the original.

Have you been charged?

Joss

17 August 2016
Thanks Rod. Misuse of drugs
Under which act was the warrant issued?
It may be they can't use evidence if it wasn't properly signed on the original.

Have you been charged?
My son has been charged, it was a warrant for his property. He is currently on bail. However, There seems to be a lot bullying tactics involved and I have been researching the correct procedures that should have been adhered to. It's all new to me.

Thanks for responding

Reactions: Timothy Longmire

Joss

17 August 2016
My son has been charged, it was a warrant for his property. He is currently on bail. However, There seems to be a lot bullying tactics involved + I have been researching the correct procedures that should have been adhered to. Its all new to me. Thanks for responding
The original hasn't been sighted, he was only given a copy.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
The blacking out of a JP's name and signature is immaterial to the validity of the search warrant as admissible evidence, specifically because it is only blocked out on the copy given to the recipient. Provided the JP who endorsed the search warrant can present to the Court on request and confirm they have met their obligations when they endorsed the search warrant, that's the extent of their role in ensuring the search warrant is admissible as evidence. The blacking out of their registration number, signature and name is to protect their identity.

Source: I'm a JP.