QLD Scheming exhusband/girlfriend rip me off

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Andybelle

26 September 2019
My ex husband & i divorced several yrs ago. before divorce final, he removed money from our company accoun ts to new girlfriend, Im talking millions) started new company in her name, and then proceeded to bankrupt our old company. Even though I had no say in any company decisions, i was made bankrupt and remain so until end of 2020. According to him he was broke and there was no settlement. But he and new wife are living the luxurious life throughout this time in her name. Would i have a case even though its over 2 yrs after divorce was finalised?

sammy01

27 September 2015
you have 12 months from divorce to finalise assets. You can seek special exemption from the courts but you'd need to talk to a solicitor about that, don't fancy your chances

Reactions: Andybelle

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
See a family lawyer sooner rather than later. It is unclear whether the 12 months property split window can be extended in your situation - see a lawyer. Your chances of receiving an extension are increased if you are receiving Gov't benefits.

You may need a forensic accountant to go through the company books as part of a splitting process, with bankruptcy a complicating factor.

Reactions: Andybelle