Sales target not reach but new contract was not signed

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

asawa71

31 March 2018
Hello. I have worked for a company for over two years. My first employment contract did not specify a sales target. Negotiations started over a year ago about a new contract but I never received a response from my emails and was never provided a signed agreement by my employer. I have tried many times to get the company to send me a new signed contract but have never received one. I have tried to email HR and never received a response. The company has undergone a restructure after it was bought out by another company.

In March, I met with my manager for my yearly performance discussion and reiterated the fact that I still haven't received my new contract, which specified that I have a specific sales target to meet. I still haven't received anything. Instead, I received my performance report stating that I have not met the sales target for 2018. Given that 2018 FY is almost over, I fear that I may lose my job. I will respond to my manager, but I doubt I will get a response since this seems to be a common theme within the company. Do I have any recourse if they try to dismiss me? I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Maybe. Keep in mind very few people have a job for life these days. Keep on doing what the employer wants, keep your head down, and possibly start looking for another job.

If they sack you, much depends on how they do it and until you are sacked you won't know if you have a case against the employer. Suggest you look around for new work while you are still employed, and in the meantime document the events around your performance report while you still have a good memory of them. Keep this document handy, and update it each and every time you believe something unfair has happened to you.

Keep in mind if you are sacked you have 21 days to make a formal complaint via the Fair Work Commission. Post back if anything happens on the first day it happens. 21 days goes quickly.

With any luck you'll find a new job where they respect you.

Last edited:
Reactions: asawa71

asawa71

31 March 2018
Maybe. Keep in mind very few people have a job for life these days. Keep on doing what the employer wants, keep your down, and possibly start looking for another job.

If they sack you, much depends on how they do it and until you are sacked you won't know if you have a case against the employer. Suggest you look around for new work while you are still employed, and in the meantime document the events around your performance report while you still have a good memory of them. Keep this document handy, and update it each and every time you believe something unfair has happened to you.

Keep in mind if you are sacked you have 21 days to make a formal complaint via the Fair Work Commission. Post back if anything happens on the first day it happens. 21 days goes quickly.

With any luck you'll find a new job where they respect you.

Thank you, Rod. Good advice.