NSW Rules In Court That Must be Followed?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Toqual

10 July 2014
Hi all,

Are there any formal rules which must be abided when in an active court room?

For example, can you use your phone for texting in the gallery?

A list would be of great appreciation.

Worldly1

25 April 2014
Australia
Which court are you going to and for what purpose?
What are you specifically going to be doing in court?

Toqual

10 July 2014
I am asking this question generally, and it would be in the public gallery.

Worldly1

25 April 2014
Australia
I'm not keen to answer this general question because its 'how long is a piece of string' and is not necessarily helping with a specific legal need.

People who are going to a court should find out and know the court they are attending, as etiquette and rules can vary. If someone is going to a court, the can find out this information. For example, if I have to go to the Southport Magistrates Court, I will want to know about that, rather than thinking 'what are court rules generally that don't relate to the Southport Magistrates Court'.

So to answer your general question: If you are in the public gallery, then ask the court staff before you enter the court if there are any rules of etiquette you should follow.

Toqual

10 July 2014
@Worldly1 ,

Your view towards this is contrary to mine, but thanks anyway.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Toqual,

The general rule of thumb is to be courteous. Using your phone in the court room is perceived as rude to the judge. As is arriving to court drunk or late. Similarly, placing your feet on the table, not bowing when entering or exiting the courtroom, and placing your suit case on the bar table is perceived as discourteous. They will not get you thrown out of court, however, if you're a lawyer, you should know better and will not give you brownie points with the judge. As a self-litigant, all this is mostly forgiven. Different judges also have different likes and dislikes (e.g. chewing gum). There is no list of court etiquettes, it is something lawyers just pick up on. Best rule of thumb is to do what the other guy is doing.

Reactions: Anubis and Toqual

Toqual

10 July 2014
Thank you very much @Sarah J @John R . Would being in the gallery writing on a notepad be considered 'odd' or discourteous?

Toqual

10 July 2014