NSW Room Set on Fire by Ex-tenant - Help with Compensation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

waterbottle7

21 March 2017
Hi all,

So not too long ago my room was set alight by an ex tenant, in the process she destroyed more than 70% of goods in my room and half of the front of house.

Anyway, fast forward, according to the police & my landlord - she set the room alight thinking her ex BF lived there... My contact details were obviously passed on and a detective called me asking me to make a statement, due to the severity of the case & this apparently being arson/attempted murder I stayed far away from the case/interview and refused to do an interview & statement at the station, but I let an officer know I never knew her.

I spoke to legal aid and they told me I did the right thing but could still be subpoenaed. This never happened and still hasn't. I don't think the cops really bothered after I refused. Cop offered me compensation over the phone but said it relies on my statement (trickery?). I refused to be interviewed or appear in court.

Can anyone offer their opinion on the situation?

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Cop offered me compensation over the phone but said it relies on my statement
I would be speaking to a lawyer about that.

I'm somewhat surprised that you don't want to cooperate though - don't you think people should be punished for attempted murder? Ask yourself - would you want other people to cooperate if you were the target?

If you don't know anything, then fine - personally I would still get that on record though, simply because I was asked to. But if you do know something that could help, then you should tell the Police - surely Legal Aid explained that it could be an offence not to?