NSW Road Tolls Debt Collector

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tela Andrea

25 September 2018
Hi I just recieved a letter from a Debt Collector today saying that I owed $836 from 2011-2012 and apparently I had called the debt collector or RMS at the time ??? and said I would call back and I obviously didnt and I dont remember it at all it wasnt intentional , if i go through a toll i pay it afterwards if Im unsure of having enough in my Etag account , my point is I told them I wouldnt do it on purpose WHY would I these things just dont go away im not stupid , all I know is I forgot about it altogether maybe because it was a very bad time my mother passed away unexpectedly and I was devastated for a very long time , and around that time I was assaulted by a man with a gun and recieved a brain injury to my short term memory ANYWAY ! I know it wont matter but I had simply no memory of it still dont, when i spoke to the debt collector I said but why didnt someone contact me send me a letter or something so it didnt accumulate it makes no sense I have paid M5 tolls since yet they didnt tell me I owed money ? apparently it was something like my account was frozen ? why did it have to be such an issue do they purposely not notify you so you have to pay off the roads for them ? Anyway i was annoyed when they kept asking me to pay and i said take me to court send me to gaol this isnt right if you had reminded me before all this time i would have paid now im unemployed no way of paying it and a single parent what can I do they offered me no reduction just that they can stop me travelling overseas lol and i said go ahead i wont be going anywhere and they will make me bankrupt i said go ahead i have nothing lol yes i made it worse look i didnt yell or swear I was just annoyed ..................what can I do now do i have any right to legal aid or ???
Thankyou for your help
Tela