NSW Rights of beneficiary

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

TEnnyson

9 May 2017
Does a beneficiary have the right to request documentation and bank statements pertaining to what and how the deceased spent her money on??? This person has sent a letter requesting this PROOF but has had nothing to do with my nan for over 3 years and prior to that the only time she saw him was for him to take her coffee and to the bank and make her withdraw money usually $10,000 at at time using stand over tactics and threatening her. Nan decided after the time he did this to spend her last years of her life without him in it and also did a bit of travelling and visiting relatives but as executor I feel that he doesn't have the right to this info. She spent most of her money before going into aged care 2 years ago she was of sound mind to the end and left him her jewellery and wedding rings etc. which have been distributed per probate and bank account closed but he only wants money and is causing the family grief he is an ex biker!!! As executor do I need to provide such information and bank account records to him? He is also requesting what she spent the balance of her pension on after the age care took their fees. This amount was $200 a fortnight which paid her large chemist bill and outings and coffee and pictures theatre etc. but again why should he need to know this. He didn't even attend the funeral which his sister had to pay for. I feel that whatever she did with her money before she died is her own business. Advice please so I can respond to the letter sent to me.