NSW Right to copy of accusations?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

NightShift

29 August 2019
I have an ex-girlfriend that has sent a couple of emails to an organisation I volunteer at.
The management committee have asked me generally about the breakup but said that it's a personal matter and that the emails appeared to be;
"Just that of a scorned lover trying to tarnish your reputation."
I have asked for a copy of the letters but was told no.
Given it appears that she has tried to make possibly defamatory accusations about me ("...trying to tarnish your reputation"), don't I have a right to a copy of the letters??

Atticus

6 February 2019
Given it appears that she has tried to make possibly defamatory accusations about me ("...trying to tarnish your reputation"), don't I have a right to a copy of the letters??

Has she sent any other emails to anybody else that you are aware of?

My take on it is If the oranisation has taken no action as a result then they are under no obligation, legal or otherwise to share them with you... That said, IF other emails have been sent around or you think this crosses the line & borders on stalking/harassment, then you could ask that you be given a copy to include as evidence in an interim DVO application to restrain her from such things... They could still refuse though

NightShift

29 August 2019
Has she sent any other emails to anybody else that you are aware of?
Not to anybody else that I am aware of but I am led to believe that multiple emails were sent to this place.

But if she is making accusations about me, don't I have a right to know what I was accused of? While the organisation has taken no official action, I feel like some on the committee are treating me differently since the emails were sent.

Atticus

6 February 2019
I would use the tactic along the lines of what I described, ie, that you believe she is sending theses kind of emails to others, you believe it is harassment & will be seeking an order to restrain her & would like a copy of all emails as supporting evidence in your DV application
don't I have a right to know what I was accused of?

It is not illegal or unlawful to refuse to provide you a copy.... Only a court issued document such as a subpoena would legally compel them to provide a copy

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I agree, you need court orders.