Return to full wages

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MissM_syd

10 June 2020
Hi,
since 1st July we had a 10% cut of our salaries (company-wide). The management conditioned the return to full wages to hitting a certain revenue target for three months in a row. Interesting enough, the said target was not consistently achieved pre-Covid and the calculation does not take into consideration govt subsidies (JobKeeper that goes into 6 figures every month). Also, being a B2B operation, it is rather easy to delay a couple of invoices so the target is not reached (we came within $50K below the target so yes, I suspect it might happen). Meanwhile, the company account is getting fatter (literally, half a mil extra in last few months) while employees are struggling.
Is there anything we can do about? Maybe worth mentioning, the decision was announced during a townhall but no individual letters or negotiations took place.
Not sure if it relevant: we're not covered by any industry award, only individual employment contracts
Thank you

Last edited:

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I note the trade off many employees make for reduced salary is so avoid the need for retrenchments.

WRT: the contracts, they should only be varied by agreement. Failing agreement then your normal salary should be paid.

The terms of the agreement will dictate how the variation will work, but without seeing contracts and the variations I can't comment.

MissM_syd

10 June 2020
I note the trade off many employees make for reduced salary is so avoid the need for retrenchments.

WRT: the contracts, they should only be varied by agreement. Failing agreement then your normal salary should be paid.

The terms of the agreement will dictate how the variation will work, but without seeing contracts and the variations I can't comment.
thank you