VIC retaining wall up to 1 meter in pakenham vic

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ibrar30

11 March 2022
I have built a retaining wall at the rear of my block that is 16 meter wide. three independant quotes were obtained and all of them mentioned we dont need permit from the council for retaining wall asits under one meter in height and we will place it away from the boundry.
Now six months later i got letter from the council that I needed permit for the retaining wall, "
Remove the retaining wall located adjacent to the east Rear boundary and at the north end of the property, and re-instate the soil is to be compacted in accordance with AS 2870.

Note: Certification from a registered building surveyor may be adequate to justify the regulatory compliance of the structure, so it can remain in the property. "

Please help. Thank you

Docupedia

7 October 2020
The quickest, cheapest, and simplest way to get this resolved may be to get a building surveyor to certify it.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
You'll need someone in your area as they will need to physically inspect it. Google is your friend.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Why does the council think you need a permit?

ibrar30

11 March 2022
Council staff has said that wall is 1.1 meter in height. However total sleepers used are 5 and each one of them is 200 mm that makes it 1 meter.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Sleepers do not have exact measurements and can be larger or smaller in size. What did you measure the height to be?

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Then as stupid as it sounds, I suggest you get someone qualified to measure it and give their written opinion. Be aware that if comes out over 1.0m then you may have to follow council's requirements.

Reactions: ibrar30