QLD Retaining Wall Legal Responsibilities?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bigben

17 January 2019
My neighbour and I have both owned our properties for 20 years. He is an interstate landlord who has rented the house out all of that time so I have never met him or even spoken to him as he has not returned my calls. I have had to deal with him through the real estate agent responsible for renting out his property.

When the estate was built, the developers cut/filled the blocks and built retaining walls on the boundary with the fence built on top of the retaining wall. I am on the downside, he on the upside and my side was cut, his side filled. Neither of us had any part in building the retaining wall, indeed the first I knew about it was after it was already done by the developer.

After 20 years, both fence and retaining wall need replacing and he is happy to meet me 50/50 re the fence, but not the retaining wall. I know retaining walls can be a grey area, but can you please help with what the legalities are here?

Thanks.

Tripe

22 May 2017
Been covered many times on this forum,

Cost is worked out on who benefits form
The retaining wall.

For example, If land was cut 1.0m on your side and filled 0.5m on neighbours side,

You pay 2/3rds and neighbor 1/3rds

Bigben

17 January 2019
Been covered many times on this forum,

Cost is worked out on who benefits form
The retaining wall.

For example, If land was cut 1.0m on your side and filled 0.5m on neighbours side,

You pay 2/3rds and neighbor 1/3rds
Thanks, how do we find out how much was cut and filled? This was 20 years ago - would Brisbane City Council be able to provide this info? If not, who?