NSW Retaining wall issue

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

thunderlegs

16 May 2019
Hi All,

I built a house as a new development just like my neighbour. The builder (who bought the land and developed it) sold the house to my current neighbour.

The builder finished their house first and they erected a boundary fence without consulting me. At that time I just let it go as I thought I would not make the contribution to it as I didn't get a say in it. I hired a landscaper to do some work in the back. He advise me that I needed to fix 3 sleepers on 3 different fence panels as they didn't complete the job properly. Please the the screenshot of the before and after (Retaining 1)

Im hearing people telling me that the retaining wall was not done efficiently as it is not stable and the timber can rot and the fence can go wonky and collapse.

Solution is to build another retaining wall in front of the fence. First of all who is negligent in this situation, the current neighbour or the builder? Because the neighbour is the current owner, should these matters go through them?

I am on the lower side, who was responsible for the retaining wall in the first place? Who will be covering the costs of the new retaining?

Cheers,
Ben