Retaining Wall damages neighbouring property

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dona

17 April 2018
Hi everyone,

I need your advice in regards to damages caused by building the retaining wall.

So we're building a house but require a retaining wall to be built first. After the retaining wall was built, we received a complaint from the neighbour, stating that the construction has cracked their concrete. Now the neighbour are planning on taking legal actions and saying that it's the responsibility of the home owner (not the builders) to pay for the damages.

I would like to confirm, who is actually responsible for the damages? What should I do?

Thank you in advance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
They get to choose who they take to court. Could be you, or the builder.

What to do depends on whether you think it was caused by the builder or not. They have to prove the builder did it if you dispute the matter.

Samj

23 May 2018
Hi everyone,

I need your advice in regards to damages caused by building the retaining wall.

So we're building a house but require a retaining wall to be built first. After the retaining wall was built, we received a complaint from the neighbour, stating that the construction has cracked their concrete. Now the neighbour are planning on taking legal actions and saying that it's the responsibility of the home owner (not the builders) to pay for the damages.

I would like to confirm, who is actually responsible for the damages? What should I do?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Dona, May I know how did you go with this issue please?