NSW Retaining Wall and Dividing Fences Act?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Knightmare

17 February 2016
We have to rebuild a stone retaining wall that was damaged by tree roots.

The neighbors want to build a fence on top of the completed wall.

My information is that the total height of the wall/fence cannot exceed 1.2 meters above ground level and has to be 20% transparent as it abuts the street boundary, and is in the first 50% of boundary length.

However, as the block is sloping and the existing wall is in places a full meter above ground level on the neighbors side, I don't see there is any room left to put a fence on top.

I guess the wall could be stepped instead of sloped, but again the question is, is there any room for a fence on top?

GetFileAttachment

SP3

7 February 2018
We have to rebuild a stone retaining wall that was damaged by tree roots.

The neighbors want to build a fence on top of the completed wall.

My information is that the total height of the wall/fence cannot exceed 1.2 meters above ground level and has to be 20% transparent as it abuts the street boundary, and is in the first 50% of boundary length.

However, as the block is sloping and the existing wall is in places a full meter above ground level on the neighbors side, I don't see there is any room left to put a fence on top.

I guess the wall could be stepped instead of sloped, but again the question is, is there any room for a fence on top?

GetFileAttachment
As a side issue, if a substantial fence is fixed to the top of the retaining wall, then wind loading has to be considered. The wall needs to be designed to withstand wind loading from the fence.